Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Getting anxious to start a metal machining home workshop

A few months ago, I was looking around the internet for prices on cnc routers.  I was interested in starting a business making wooden signs, the ones you see at the end of driveways with the property owners family name on them.  I stumbled upon some sites and forums with plans on building your own.  I started reading "build threads" in the forums and found out some guys were machining their own parts in there home shops on mills and lathes. Some even had cnc mills.  I found myself side tracked looking into these types of machines and how they are used.


I have always had an interest in metal working.  Most of my experience was in high school shops class and once in a while at work.  So I would say I have a lot of learning to do since I have been out of school for 18 years now.  I'm looking forward to it, learning that is, and getting very anxious to get my hands on some equipment to put in my shop.


I am still undecided whether to buy the mini lathe and mini mill or buy the bench models that are a little bigger with some extra power and features.  I have seen videos of some mini lathes cutting some pretty tough alloys while one video I watched on YouTube of another mini lathe kept stalling out trying to cut thread on PVC pipe.  


There are two things I like about the mini lathes and mini mills.  One is the price.  They usually sell around $600 a piece but, I have seen sales where the price is knocked down to under $300.  An uncle of a co-worker picked up a mini lathe from a local store for $70 because there were tools missing.  When he brought it home and opened up the crate, the tools fell out from under the base of lathe.  What a deal!  The other thing I like about them is that they are relatively light weight.  They are under 100 lbs, so they are fairly mobile compared to their larger versions.  As soon as you move up one or two sizes, you are looking at anywhere from 300 - 600 lbs.  Then you have to do some creative thinking when it comes time to getting your equipment home, unpacked, and put up onto your bench.  Can you say hernia.


I think I have to figure out what it is that I want to make and what the largest sized parts I will be making will be.  So far I know I want to make model engines, a cnc router, and a cnc milling machine. 


I want to buy the bigger sized equipment because I know if I buy the minis, I will probably find that they are not big enough and upgrade anyway.  I will probably end up buying the minis anyway because I am so anxious to get started, I won't be able to wait long enough to save enough cash for the more expensive bench models.  Gonna need a lot of will power.

1 comments:

My name is Mrs. Celia Dave. I live in the UK
and I am a happy woman today? and i
told myself that any lender that rescue my
family from our poor situation, i will refer
any person that is looking for loan to him,
he gave happiness to me and my family, i
was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to
start my life all over as i am a single
mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD
fearing man loan lender that help me with a
loan of $250,000.00 U.S. Dollar, he is a GOD
fearing man, if you are in need of loan and
you will pay back the loan please contact
him tell him that is Mrs. Celia Dave that
refer you to him. His name is Mr. Benjamin Lee
His Email  (247officedept@gmail.com) Or whatsapp conversation  : +1-989-394-3740. 

Post a Comment